A Pinning Obsession

It all began a couple months ago when I was at my friend Ferrill's house. She had these adorable fridge frames that I wanted to make. 

"I found them on Pinterest", she said.  

"On what?," I inquired. 

"Pinterest"

"Pint...What?"

"YOU don't know what Pinterest is?"

"Should I?"

"Katie, Go get on my computer right now and sign up. You will love it."

I'd like to say the rest is history. But really what the rest is is a lot of hours spent scrolling through the world of "look books", pinning up a storm. 


For those of you who are in the dark as I was (before Ferrill showed me the light),
Pinterest is a social media site with a simple premise – “Pin what you like.” Just as you would in the 3D world with a pushpin and a corkboard, with Pinterest you “pin” images from all over the web onto virtual corkboards divided into whatever categories you wish. AND it keeps an active link so that with one click, you’re able to hop back to the original site for the tutorial or details or just another dose of "ahhh".

(Side note for those of you interested in the business side: Pinterest just closed a $27 million round of funding led by Andreessen Horowitz...another sign of tech bubble 2.0? Or legit business opportunity?)

If you are like my techie beau, you are asking: "how is this different from liking it on Facebook." But if you're a visual person, like I am, the difference is immediately clear. One beautiful photo after the next, it's like a haven for sparking inspiration. I once heard someone say that they couldn't stop "trolling for photos." Perfect.

As many may know, my life has become a bit hectic these days...leaving things like this blog, talking to friends, exercising, or any other semblance of a normal life out of the question. But I still find myself sneaking to Pinterest when I have a moment. Does it sounds like I'm describing a drug habit?

Perhaps I have a problem on my hands, but I'd like to think if anyone got a peek at the eye candy just a click away, they'd be...pinned.

Comments

Popular Posts