And Just Like that...

I thought I had made up my mind. I thought the logical parts of me had won. Then Annie just simply slipped in that her neighbor had found a sweet puppy that needed a home. 

The rest of the day was a whirlwind—calling my beau, begging my beau, looking up food and crates and toys, filling my Petsmart cart to the gills in lieu of focusing on my all-too-secondary work for the day. Asking my friends if I was crazy...not listening to their answers. Selling our great "parenting skills" to the neighbors who had apparently had many calls and visits for the cutie. But he was going to be mine. Ours. I felt it. At 5 p.m., I called to get the directions to the house where I would meet and take home the newest member of my family. But something was wrong. They hadn't wanted to tell me earlier because they weren't sure. But now they were...he had just been adopted.

Out of nowhere I fell apart. Ran home and cried my eyes out for what felt like hours. How did I wake up not thinking about a dog and end the day feeling so sad about MY dog being lost. It struck some inner chord, almost made me scared to ever try to have a child. When Kyle found me, he sweetly coaxed me and (although he still had some reservations) said there were plenty of puppies that needed homes and ours was still out there. He was sure of it.

By Friday, I was standing at the Humane Society, Kyle by my side, looking into the oh-too-many sad eyes begging to be taken home. We played with several, but we didn't need to...she had us at hello.

Turns out Kyle was right. Ours was still out there, and now she's here...making us laugh, driving us crazy, learning super quick, reeling us in with her puppy eyes. My resolve turned to mush.

And just like that...the plant lady became a dog lady.


There is no telling what will happen next.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts